Saturday 16 February 2008

"get the heat at it"





I haven't done much with the range rover lately, I simply haven't had the time. Last time I was working on her I had another go at loosening the crank-crank pulley bolt, no luck however. The starter assembly is also well-held and with it's incredibly annoying hex-head allen bolts now rounded I may get the drill out to get it off. My solution for the Crank bolt is, as a friend and fellow v8 nut said, to "get the heat at it", so it'll be gas and flame for this one. When i finally get that bolt out I won't be wasting time faffing about trying to do the impossible.
I will be able to:
-Remove the timing cover (front cover) from the engine.
-Remove the timing chain and sprockets from the cam and crank.
-Remove the cam.
-Remove the crank, pistons and bearings.
-Give the block a good clean (possibly a professional chem. clean)
-Strip the block of it's old liners.
-Have new ones pressed in.
-Have the head and block faces checked and skimmed as necessary.
-Start my part of the rebuild!!!!!

I've been doing a bit of rust repair here and there on the body and chassis, though there's nothing much more than surface rot (miracle!).
I have also now decided that the body will get sprayed by yours truly using plastikote cans and I have done a test panel, not in the end colour, but just to see what kind of finish i would get. Even in very damp evening conditions the finish was pretty excellent. I'm torn between colours at the minute, but I'm thinking of a possible G4 land-rover look or Arctic Cammo. I'm not exactly after the "all-black" look. :-)

I also fit the "new" wing (courtesy of Rick!). Someone wrote I <3 V8s on it... hmmm.

No comments: